Absorption sensor for turbidity and suspended solids measurement in industrial wastewater and processes.
Requirement: Reliable measurements under these harsh environmental conditions
the turbidity sensor for wastewater.
the expert for potable water and low turbidities.
turbidity sensor mainly for F&B.
absorption sensor with hygienic design, usable for F&B.
CUS50D opens the door for new applications in chemistry, primaries & metals and for measuring turbidity in special media due to chemical resistant materials and the attenuation measuring principle according to ISO 7027.
Turbimax sensor segmentation by measuring range
CUS52D: 0,000 – 4000 FNU
CUS51D: 0 FNU – 300 g/l
CUS50D: 40 FAU – 60 g/l
Industrial wastewater and utilities:
Highly absorptive media:
• Concentration measurement in very dark media, e.g. activated carbon concentration in the fourth cleaning step of wastewater
Turbimax CUS50D is a long lasting, robust, low maintenance absorption sensor for turbidity and suspended solids measurement. It provides stable and definite measured values in industrial wastewater, process water and utilities. Thanks to its measuring curve we can provide definite values from middle turbidity ranges up to high concentrations of suspended solids. In addition, due to the single point calibration we can reduce the maintenance effort drastically.
The sensor head consists completely of a dirt repellent Teflon derivative and enables CUS50D for measuring also in highly corrosive media.
Our promise with Turbimax CUS50D:
Reliable process control.
Low maintenance efforts
• Easily cleanable: dirt does hardly stick to the PCTFE sensor head and in addition the air cleaning removes
dirt traces immediately
• Long sensor life time: the epoxy-glue- free sensor with stands harsh environmental conditions such as highly corrosive or hot media (up to 85°C and pH=1) – no sensor failure due to leakage
Customer: Manufacturer of equipment for WWTP
Customer benefit with CUS50D:
Titanium dioxide production
Application: control of titanium dioxide concentration in the wastewater (0-2 gr/L TiO2 )
Purpose of the measurement: at value >1,0 gr/L , the wastewater cannot be discharged to the river Sensor CUS50D installed in CYA251 assembly incl. aeroclean
Customer benefit with CUS50D: Comply to discharge regulations
Customer: Fertilizer producer
Application: Measurement of suspended solids in gas washer Range: 0 – 80 gr/L
Temperature: 40-65 °C
Special: 20-50 gr/L dissolved Chlorides, therefore plastic version is required
During production, gasses (such as NH3) and fertilizer dust appears. This dust is filtered with dust filters + cyclones. After drying, this dust (and the gasses) come in the gas washer
At high solids concentrations, the pipes and spray heads will clog. This is also an indication that there is a problem in the fertilizer granulation process.
Customer benefit: CUS50D is able to detect clogging and enables the customer to control its process better -> higher uptime
Customer: nickel mine
Application: measurement of concentration in the nickel thickening process
Measurement of activated carbon concentration in 4th cleaning step.
Customer: Wastewater treatment plant
Application: Measurement of activated carbon in the 4th cleaning step
Measuring range: a few 100 mg/l to a few g/l
What makes Turbimax CUS50D so special?
Attenuation measurement principle
Chemically resistant material
CUS50D – the measuring principle
Absorption Measurement and Law of Lambert-Beer.
Absorption and Law of Lambert-Beer.
Effects of the absorption principle.
CUS50D – Signal behavior compared to CUS51D and CUS52D.
The automatic range functionality selects autonomously the correct signals of each measuring channel to provide
the best measuring signals -> The automatic range is especially for users who measure suspended solids or absorption over a wide measuring range and are not able to stay with one optical pathlength
Note: a single point calibration is always recommended!
Automatic sludge model – working principle
Benefit: the automatic sludge model automatically selects the right measuring values -> no need to create a calibration curve.
Turbimax CUD50D is able to measure various measurement categories that can be selected in the Liquiline transmitter:
• CUS50D works according to the light attenuation principle (ISO 7027)
• Formazin is the measuring parameter for turbidity measurement (FAU)
• The sensor is pre-calibrated with Formazin and works directly without calibration
• For Formazin measurements 10 mm optical pathlength is fixed
• Absorption measurement with the use of a factory-calibrated curve created in a solution that absorbs at the wavelength of 860 nm
• Choice of 5 mm, 10 mm optical pathlength and automatic range possible
• Kaolin: suspended solids measurement with the use of a kaolin calibration curve. Choice of 5 mm, 10 mm optical pathlength and automatic range possible
• Sludge: suspended solids measurement with the use of a sludge calibration curve. Choice of 5 mm, 10 mm optical pathlength and automatic range possible
• Auto sludge: suspended solids measurement with the use of the measuring signals of the 5 mm and the 10 mm measuring channels and a 2D curved surface created out of a set of calibration curves in different sludges
• Absorption measurement with the possibility of using the measuring unit “%”. 100% product loss = 5 AU (can be adjusted by customer)
• Choice of 5 mm and 10 mm optical pathlength possible
Turbimax CUS50D – technical overview
• 40 mm Sensor
• Immersion sensor with thread G1, NPT3/4
• Clamp 2” variant available
-> Compatible with all relevant assemblies
Connection to Liquiline:
• With fixed cable with crimp sleeves or M12 plug and individual cable lengths
-> electrical connection according to customers’ wishes possible
• Works with Liquiline CM44 from software version 1.06.06-0021 or higher
• Sensor head made from dirt repellent PCTFE
• Choice of shaft material between stainless steel or PPS GF40
-> Epoxy-free sensor head and chemical robust sensor body out of plastics for harsh environments
• Sensor with two measuring channels at two different optical pathlengths (5 mm and 10 mm)
At suspended solids measuring ranges can vary strongly on the measured media
• Absorption: 0,5% of upper range value (corresponds +/- 50 mOD )
• Formazin: 10% of measuring value or 10FAU (the greater value applies in each case)
• Kaolin: 5% of upper range value ; for sensors which are calibrated on the measuring range
• Sludge/auto sludge: 10% of measuring value or 5% of upperrange value (the greater value applies in each case); for sensors which are calibrated on the measuring range
• The in accuracy encompasses all inaccuracies of the measuring chain (sensor and transmitter). However, it does not include the inaccuracy of the reference material used for calibration.
Repeatability, drift, LOD.
• Absorption: 0,001 OD or 0,2% of measuring value wert (the greater value applies in each case)
• Formazin: 10 FAU at 800 FAU
• Formazin: Drift 0,04% per day (at 2000 FAU)
• Absorption: Drift 0,015% per day (at 5 OD)
Limit of Detection:
• Absorption: 0,004 OD at 0,5 OD
• Formazin: 10 FAU
Air cleaning tool
Compressed air cleaning for CUS50D
• Connection: 6mm
• Pressure: 1.5 to 2 bar (22 to 30 psi)
• Materials: POM, PE, PA 6.6 30% glass fiber
• Order No.: 71395617
Compressor for air cleaning unit
• For compressed air cleaning
• 230 V AC order no. 71072583
• 115 V AC order no. 71194623
• CUS50D kit, solid state reference
• Calibration tool for CUS50D turbidity sensor
• Easy and reliable inspection of CUS50D turbidity sensors.
• Order No.: 71400898
CUS50D can be connected to following assemblies:
Accessories and process connections for harsh environments
• CTSP-UA4FP1 (modification position 30: 71407261) Flow cell PVDF version, Flange DN50
• CTSP-UA4FP1 (modification position 30: 71407533) Flow cell PVDF like above, with cleaning option